Finally, I know I'm way late again......
1. NINE BLACK ALPS – Cosmopolita
This track gave me the instant quiver, the same quiver that has me immediately convinced that the song I’ve just heard is going to own me for a time. Here are NINE BLACK ALPS
from Manchester, and there are actually only four of them, not nine. The only way to get it at the momment is by ordering a limited edition- white-vinyl release just put out on Melodic Records
NINE BLACK ALPS – Demo – No label.
2. BE YOUR OWN PET – Damn Damn Leash
By the time this gets out to everyone, this band will probably already be signed to some smart label somewhere. Singer, Jamina Abegg
, is what happens when you mix the star quality of GWEN STEFANI with the unpredictability of KAREN O, even though she ends up sounding more like Exene of X. To make it all even better, the band is ONLY 16 years old. Heard a full length will be put out on Rough Trade.
BE YOUR OWN PET – 2 Song EP – Infinity Cat Recordings.
3. CLOR – Good Stuff
BECK meets PAVEMENT? Sort of, but what the hell is CLOR
? This mystery crew is English, that much I have down, but after that I just know who is working them; Management is John Best and Dean O'Connor and booking is handled by 13 Artists in the UK. Hitting the road with MAXIMO PARK in November, I keep playing this one constantly, especially before going out for the evening.
CLOR – Welcome Music Lovers EP – Regal Records.
4. THE LEGENDS – There And Back Again
If you are going to hold me to it, I must admit that this came out in 2003, but it was like a tree falling deep in the forest. It took the WICKER PARK Soundtrack
(horrible movie, great soundtrack) to flush out THE LEGENDS
from Sweden. They give no band information out, post no pictures, and create music that is gorgeous…….
THE LEGENDS - Up Against The Legends – Labrador Records.
5. THE ARCADE FIRE - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Buzz band. Everyone is talking about these guys and for good reason. They have it, something no one can quite figure out or put their finger on. For me, it’s simple; just listen to that build, that urgency, those shouts. Like the TALKING HEADS on speed. The entire record is a must buy, and you won’t be disappointed, this one is a triumph.
THE ARCADE FIRE – Funeral – Merge Records.
6. THE MALL – Track 3
It’s funny how sometimes when you travel a bunch and seek out music from places elsewhere, you end up finding out there is more music at your doorstep than you had ever imagined. Lately, that’s been the case in San Francisco for me, and THE MALL are one of a number of bands creating a scene in a city that likes to destroy all scenes. Big potential here.
Needs: Management, booking, legal.
THE MALL – Demo – No label.
7. THE DRAMA – I Require
You’ve heard my rants and raves about this Sacramento-Oakland band before. THE DRAMA have recently released their first EP on Fierce Panda Records
in the UK, but this new track is pulled from their latest studio efforts. ‘Dark rock’ they like to call themselves, their live set will knock you down. They just completed a UK tour and played with THE FAINT in London.
THE DRAMA – New Demos – No label.
8. MADELIA – The Chords
Three Bay Area bands in a row, this time I give you MADELIA
, a band some might call ‘goth prog rock’. To me, it’s more like very complex and layered tunes on the epic scale of HOPES OF THE STATES or THE VEILS, or possibly RADIOHEAD. I literarily grabbed these demos off the board, unmastered from the studio to share what they’ve been locked up for months working on because I couldn’t wait. Needs: Management, booking, legal.
MADELIA – Demos – No label.
9. TOM VEK - C-C (You Set The Fire In Me)
I keep hearing tales of how A&R guys from all over are following TOM VEK around like he is the next STEVIE WONDER. I honestly don’t think he is worth all the hype, however I do like this tune for its adventure and total disregard. Sort of sounds like SOUL COUGHING to me, but I did have a soft spot for them.
TOM VEK - We Have Sound – Tummy Touch Records.
10. E-ZEE TIGER - Fanta Es Pontino
Wait a minute, another San Francisco act? E-ZEE TIGER is a one-man music machine. More to take in than a BOB LOG III, think more on the lines of JOSEPH ARTHUR, in terms of playing everything at once, but smash that comparison when you listen to this lo-fi burst. E-ZEE is actually Anthony Petrovic, formerly of THE GAY BARBARIANS. Needs: Management, booking, legal.
EZEE TIGER – EZEE TIGER – Kimosciotic Records.
11. THE CATHOLIC COMB - Sixteen To Twenty-One
The East Bay still counts as the Bay Area, and Concord, California’s THE CATHOLIC COMB
are a bunch of 18 year olds that, without trying, conjure up this ‘CURE-Head On The Door’ vibe with ‘Sixteen To Twenty-One’. This one crept up on me until I had that little melody running around my head for days. Needs: Management, booking, legal.
THE CATHOLIC COMB – Demo – No label.
12. VIVA VOCE – Alive With Pleasure
I heard that these guys were originally some Christian rock band, but they sound like they pray to Mark Bolan of St. T REX more than anything. Lush, honey-pie vocals, big fuzz guitars, along the lines of an Elephant 6 band, and how about that MOTT THE HOPPLE guitar work (All The Young Dudes) near the end. I’m into this track.
VIVA VOCE – Heat Can Melt Your Brain – Miny Fresh Records.
13. JOHNNYBOY – You Are The Generation
All right, fooled you if you thought I put an old PHIL SPECTOR track on here to see if you were paying attention. Sounding straight out of THE RONNETTS sound book (Be My Little Baby), here are London’s JOHNNYBOY
, dropping something old school on the kids. This ain’t JOSS STONE, this is more like ‘60’s icon LULU, or perhaps underground rare grooves hero, DORIS
JOHNNYBOY – You Are The Generation… (Single) - Vertigo Records.
14. THE DEARS – We Can Have It
I’d have a hard time describing this if I weren’t allowed to use the word ‘lovely’ somewhere in it. It must be this horrible feeling I’ve been having since the election, but this one comforts me in saddens me and fits this funk. THE DEARS
are from Montreal, they are a six piece and they must have listened to a BLUR record or two in their day. I generally react to anyone that sites Serge Gainsbourg as an influence. The end of this gives us hope! Lovely.
THE DEARS – No Cities Left – SpinArt Records.
15. THE CLOUD ROOM – Hey Now Now
Dumb luck on finding this band – happened to be running late for the evening on our CMJ bill, I went in to check who was running over only to witness THE CLOUD ROOM
. Well Hey Now Now! They are recording an album for Gigantic Music
, a small NY indie, but now have a half dozen labels sniffin’ around. Management: Polsia Ryder. Legal: Carroll Guido & Groffman. Needs: Booking.
THE CLOUD ROOM – Demo – No label.
16. PROSAICS – Teeth
Another band that is grabbing people’s attention these days, first with their Dim Mak release and now as people wait for their Matador debut, here are New York’s PROSAICS
. Big on vibe, looking forward to catching them live where they’re dark, Curtis-channeling spirit can fully overtake you.
PROSAICS – Aghast Agape – Matador Records.
17. HOT SNAKES – Hi-Lights
HOT SNAKES are one of those bands that if you don’t know by now, then shame on you! One wild and frenetic live act, seeing these guys will make you re-address how you judge live performances. History is on their side as well - ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT and DRIVE LIKE JEHU - near living legends to most. Very close to the last two records, and that’s a good thing. Perfect as is.
HOT SNAKES – Audit In Progress – Swami Records.
18. VON IVA – Same Sad Song
San Francisco’s VON IVA
are what one friend of mine
described as “4 hot chicks, really good front, and pretty aggressive pop rock”. At first you think it’s merely another GOSSIP or perhaps DETROIT COBRAS, then they drop into this dancey=freak out and that bass thump. They’re looked after by Guerrilla Management’s John O'Malley. Needs: Booking, legal.
VON IVA – Demo – No label.
19. THE VIBRATION – Sweet Oil
Here is another band that consists of “4 hot chicks”, New York’s THE VIBRATION
. I’d like to think that there is more here than just looks, hearing that powerful SINEAD O’CONNOR boom from singer Ann Fitzgerald’s voice and that bass line. On top of it all, they’re guitarist’s name is ‘Red Scare’ - what’s not to like here? Needs: Management, booking, legal.
THE VIBRATION – Ear To The Ground EP- Sink & Stove Records.
20. CITIZENS HERE AND ABROAD – Secret
I know you think I’ve been saving them up, but here is glimpse of what is happening on the San Francisco scene these days; CITIZENS HERE AND ABROAD
For fans of DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE and EARLIMART, a CMJ hit waiting to happen.
Needs: Management, booking, legal.
CITIZENS HERE AND ABROAD – 2 Songs – No label.
21. LA ROCCA – This Life
Dublin, Ireland’s LA ROCCA
make bouncy TODD RUNDGREN meets EVERCLEAR music that drips pop hooks. This year alone they’ve been invited as special guests on tours with JET, SNOW PATROL and THE VINES. For fans of WHEAT or THE THRILLS. Needs: Management, booking.
LA ROCCA – Demo – No label.
– I’d have to honestly say this to you, that in the past year I haven’t been as impressed with any live act in terms of shear presence and star power capability as I have since I walked into a London warehouse recently to witness UM. This one-man BECK meets ALI G, could be an icon if he ever gets noticed beyond his art pack friends. Straight out of a DAVID LYNCH film with humor and beats and storytelling from another planet, I’ll have more for you from him as soon as I can. Check out www.umbusiness.co.uk
– By all rights, AUTOLUX
should have made this Future Sounds, I just slipped on getting the music in time. This band is rising nicely and will be everywhere very soon; probably by the time I actually complete FS18. You know them already if you’re from LA, on KROQ quite a bit – words getting’ out.
– track: Kiss Ride Kill. Kick in the ass rock in roll from Chicago. Wild and raw and dirty and needing to get a deal so they can tour for the rest of us. Actually called TWIN WRECKS THE MEMORY
, this is rawk n’ roll that’s a mess.
– Here is a band that I had the pleasure of seeing at 3am in London and ended up dancing until my cab arrived for the airport at 7am. Like a current version of the TALKING HEADS, yet dancey like !!! or OUT HUD. Amazing musicians, intricate almost world beat music, and a drummer named Keith.
– track: Sell Out
. Off of their PIXIES infused four-track demo.
– Cool young band out of Chicago, known for shows that get physical and often times violent from the fever.
NEWS FROM THE FUTURE…
– Having just finished the Jonathan Ross Show in London and David Letterman over here, the only thing left is, well, THE O.C.. That’s on it’s way for our Vegas boys, who also just finished shooting their video for ‘Mr. Brightside’ with Director Sophie Muller (NO DOUBT, COLDPLAY, BLUR).
- So, since last we met these guys have hit New York, did a week in London, and then came back to NYC for CMJ. In the meantime they partied with Geraldo Rivera, released a single on Fierce Panda’s ‘Shock & Oar’ compilation
, a 7 inch single on Full Frame Records, nabbed some great press from NME, The Fly and Kerrang!, and are already back in the studio finishing their full length. Hits Magazine named them one of the buzz bands of CMJ.
– The Hopper never seems to stop. Since returning from his month long Irish tour, where he also made it down to Manchester for the In The City Music Festival, he has already written 10 new songs, disbanded his band, and is moving to New York City this winter in the name of love. David stirred up the Dublin scene while he was home and I’m hoping to have some good news for you soon.
– The young one continues to sharpen his act up for the grand unveiling coming soon. I just recently compiled the latest 6 song demo and have begun to circulate it for the chosen few, but I’ll have more for you all soon enough.
– Kenn Richards
and crew are one track away from finally releasing the monster from the underground lab. Their remix of PARTICLE’s “Lauchpad”, is up on Itunes for download, and they’re already working on the next batch of songs that would round out a full length.
– track: Malibu Love Nest. Ok, so they are breaking up, and this saddens me, but as long as Dean and Britta keep making music like their solo record, I’ll be ok. Their swan song is once again, perfect LUNA. Jetset Records.
Q AND NOT U
– Very interesting and fun music that so far is only released in Australia on PopFrenzy Records.
– One amazing live band, Brooklyn’s PANTHERS just released ‘Things Are Strange’ on Vice Records.
THE NERVOUS RETURN
– track RED CAMERO
. I heard cool music on this Atlantic Records release, ‘Wake Up Dead’ from LA’s THE NERVOUS RETURN.
– Sort of a FELT vibe to it, HUMAN TELEVISION have dropped their debut on Gigantic Records this month. Worth checking out.
*** Please send me your feedback on the unsigned artists, so I can share it with them - it could make the difference. -- email me @ email@example.com .
*** Please remember to buy music when you can - support the arts.
Accepting demos and new releases: Larry Little c/o From The Future Management, LLC. - 3872 24th Street - San Francisco, CA 94114